Treating Back Pain During Pregnancy with Acupuncture
With Guest: Debra Betts
- Reasons for back pain in pregnancy.
- Research shows acupuncture to be helpful in treating back pain in pregnant women.
- Light cupping along the spine and on ahshi points is effective and women love it.
- Don’t go for textbook location with the points, palpate to find them.
- Feel for the tender sticky spots this is a key aspect of locating the effective points.
- When finding pain along the spine, needle the Huatuo point above the area of pain.
- What about using points on the arms and legs?
- A tip about treating pelvic pain.
- What is the optimal time between treatments?
- It’s important that this kind of treatment is done by acupuncturists who understand the risks of using certain points, rather than other practitioners who have limited training.
Visit Debra’s website for more information about her work and to download a free copy of her illustrated acupressure booklet for childbirth.
Here is the research we talked about in the show that shows the effectiveness of using acupuncture to treat back pain in pregnant women.You can learn a lot from Debra about the use of acupuncture for pregnancy and childbirth by taking her online continuing education class at ProD Seminars.